Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Messiness as a Virtue - Question 1

Some of the messes in my life?  Concrete messes or relationship messes?  Let's stick with concrete, since people can't be neatly slotted into little cubbies.

I must admit this question is a little vague, and a lot personal to me.  I guess I should treat it like an interview question.  But an interview for what?  For being a maid or a librarian?

Well.  The degree of messiness is judged differently by different individuals.  Right now, my craft workshop in the basement is a mess to me, because it needs swept and picked up.  My kids have been home for the summer due to the bizarre and outdated U.S. school calendar, so they've been down there with the big screen TV.  It's not a mess to them, but then, not much is a mess to them.  Generally, I make them bring up any food or utensils they've taken down there, and don't allow my daughter any access to glitter (long story).  About once a week someone sweeps it.  Since both kids are currently traveling out of state, that someone will probably be me.

My craft supplies themselves are organized, but in a fashion that makes sense to me, and is more semantic than hierarchical.  I like to have all of the supplies for one craft project in one area, rather than having all of the supplies grouped by type.  So, right now, there's a lot of Christmas stuff out on my craft table, because I'm working on a Christmas craft.

I just cleaned out my family financial files; that was good, because it made me feel more in control.  A lot of times, I think that people organize so that they feel more in control, even though in the long run, it may not make any difference.  So, the files are organized.

My daughter insisted that we do our school supply shopping early, so that's done; she's registered, ordered gym clothes, ordered the yearbook, and only have to attend one orientation.  My son attends boarding school, so he's set.  I'm looking forward to having them back in school, because I like routine.

That's about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment