Friday, August 2, 2013

The Future of the Internet


Well, I don't spend a lot of time pondering it, but I think that everything that Ben Parr said makes sense.  Already, my husband is completely in line with points 2, 3, 4.  Since he got his iPad, about two years ago or whenever they came out, he spends nearly all of his free time on it, either playing games or on FaceBook.  In fact, I have quit asking him to tell me where he is when he's traveling on business; it's easier to check his FaceBook page.  Sad, isn't it?  It is easier than figuring out what time zone he's in, and then trying to remember his local sim card number.  (He is often in extremely remote places, like Siberia or small cities in central China.)  

What Mr. Parr neglected to mention is that people are losing their ability, or desire, to create and maintain one-to-one relationships.  You can air brush out a lot on the web.  You don't have to be yourself; you can be anyone you want to be.  It's a fine line between living in reality and living in FaceBook land.  

So, my prediction for the web is that it's going to be a big shock to some people when they die and it isn't there.  (This is based on my personal belief system, of course; perhaps I will be the one who gets the big shock, when I pass over and find out that I don't know the access code.)  I have offered to bury my husband with his iPhone in one hand, the TV remote in the other, and his iPad on his chest, but he was not amused (and I was not joking, either :).  We settled for cremation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment